AUGUST 2021 - GOOD FATHERLY ADVICE
Most fathers give advice to their children as they are growing up. Some is very profound advice that is a lifelong benefit and other is more casual in nature. Regardless, it is an opportunity for the father to speak wisdom and direction into his children’s lives.
2 Timothy 2:1-7 contains fatherly advice from the apostle Paul who was a spiritual father figure to Timothy. He gives him five rules for life. The rules are so simple Timothy could have memorized them in short order. These simple rules provide a track for an abundant life, even in difficult times.
1) Be strong. Timothy is instructed to be strong in the “grace that is in Christ Jesus.” We can be strong in His promises, in His presence within us, in the privilege of prayer, in His perfect love, mercy and forgiveness.
2) Teach others. We are to teach others. This is one of the best scriptures on discipleship in the entire Bible. We must all strive to be qualified to teach others. As others are taught, it has a multiplying effect in the growth of God’s kingdom.
3) Endure hardship. If we are true followers of Christ, there will be hardships in this life. We must keep our eyes of Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, and His promises as we face trials of many kinds.
4) Stay disciplined. As an athlete, who must follow the rules to win the prize, we cannot win our prize unless we follow the rules found in the Bible. We must realize its promises, commands, truths, insights, encouragement, and instruction will help lead us to our heavenly reward.
5) Work hard. We must work hard in the kingdom of God as the farmer works hard in the fields. As the hardworking farmer is first to receive a share of the crops, so it will be for us in receiving our eternal home.
This fatherly advice was written by Paul to Timothy over 2000 years ago, but truth be told, this could be our Heavenly Father’s advice to His children today
God’s blessings, protection, and favor to all.